Raising a girl
Imagine this:"The #1 wish for girls ages 11 to 17 is to be thinner.
"One study of Saturday morning toy commercials found that 50% of commercials aimed at girls spoke about physical attractiveness, while none of the commercials aimed at boys referred to appearance.
"25% of high school seniors reported using illicit drugs in the past 30 days.
"Nationwide (in the US) 46% of students in grades 9 to 12 have had sex.
"14% of all 13-year-olds have had sex.
"Nearly 35% of all young women in the US become pregnant at least once before reaching the age of 20 -- almost 850,000 each year."
Quoted from: Vicki Courtney, Your Girl: Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World (Tennessee: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2004), 7.
Isn't it worrying to be parents, especially of girls, at current times? While these statistics are for the US, I suspect that Japan isn't too far off. I picked up this book a few months back and finally got down to reading it. While it's targetted to parents, particularly mothers, of preteen, teenage and tween daughters, I just felt I had to read it now to help prepare myself for what I have to battle ahead. I'm still only in the midst of it but I'm already convinced of what I used to joke about all along... the world is out to get the girls.
And oooh.... the weight of parental responsibility! Chasing after a 2-year-old toddler even when pregnant doesn't even begin to describe it.
Labels: book




3 Comments:
maybe not good time for you to read this book leh...
i finally got your URL thru my old blog's comments box ;-) Is this the book you were telling me?!
chi hua hua: need to get myself prepared for what is to come!
may: yes this is the book. full of scary facts but also excellent tips on how to prepare your daughter (and yourself!) before she becomes a teen. i'm a christian so the information is especially relevant to me!
Post a Comment
<< Home